The Buzz Blog - Events
Kenmare town is fast gaining a reputation as Ireland’s fittest town. On the October weekend, Saturday Oct 29th Kenmare will host its third duathalon, a 40km Cycle and a 6km Run. It is open to everyone, individuals and relay teams. Funds raised from the event will be donated to Kenmare Underage Rugby teams and Kenmare Hospital Development Fund. Participants are coming from all corners of Ireland and the World in what promises to be an exciting event and a fun night afterwards.
Kenmare offers stunning scenery and the 40km cycle will go from Kenmare to Molls Gap, back towards Sneem, turning left for Blackwater and on again to Kenmare. The town of Kenmare offers award winning restaurants, traditional pubs and some of the best fun in Ireland. From Five star hotels to wonderful hostels the selection of restaurants is second to none. Its the ideal place to spend a weekend.
• Registration will commence at 9.00am at Brooklane Hotel, Sneem Road, Kenmare
• Safety Briefing 11.00am, Brooklane Hotel
• Race start 12 noon, Brooklane hotel, with a lead race car
• Parking in immediate area will be limited
• Should weather make the event unsafe an alternative route will used. Safety Officer Garda
• Peter McCarthy and Race Director Dr Rory O Driscoll will make this decision on the morning.
The 40 km cycle will commence at 12 noon and follow the N71 to Moll’s Gap for 10k, turning left past Avoca Cafe and onto the Sneem road, turning left for Blackwater and returning to Kenmare on the relatively flat coast road. The cycle will be started with a safety course car and racing will commence once car deems it to be safe.
The 6km run will start at bike drop off and head out the Moll’s Gap road for 3km before turning right towards enmare Hospital/ Dromneavane and finish in the Square.
A food and crafts fair will operate on Park Street offering some wonderful Kenmare delicacies
creating a unique party atmosphere.
Check out the website here